CalWorks at MVC
Attention Graduating and Transferring CalWORKS Students:
You are invited to participate! Submit your personal story and photo. It will be published in our annual "Portraits of Student Success" book. Your photo may include yourself or yourself with your family. The deadline to submit is May 10, 2017.
Eligible students may receive a $25 Arco Gas Card for participating. Please send your story and photo directly to Nicole.LeDuff@mvc.edu. You must also sign a release form, which can be done in our office. Please contact our office for further information!
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence." Unknown
CalWORKs will help you achieve self-sufficiency through employment and education. If you are a TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipient with minor children, and attending or planning to attend Moreno Valley College, you may be eligible to receive special support services.
MVC's CalWORKs support services include counseling, priority registration, job search and resume assistance, resource referrals, and intensive joint case management with the county GAIN program.
Please view the List Of Workshops for current information - this list is updated throughout the semester...workshop dates, times, and locations may change at any time.
We now have DVD videos available for viewing in our computer Lab:
»"Career Spotlight on Business" workshop
»"Interview Secrets" workshop
»"Career Spotlight on Social Work" workshop
»"Career Spotlight on Nursing" workshop
Visit or contact our office for more information.
EVENTS(Workshops are open to ALL MVC Students)
Please contact our office to sign up for workshops or if you have any questions.
|Lunch & Learn|
|Held every Wednesday
of the month
(except May 10)
12:30 - 2 pm
Parkside Complex #14A
|Counselor/Coordinator Terrie Hawthorne will host a different topic each week. Please contact our office to RSVP. Lunch will be provided.|
|Roadmap to Financial Freedom (Debt Management)|
|*Hosted by Credit.org|
May 4, 2017
12:50 - 1:50 pm
|When the unexpected strikes, many of us are left without an easy solution for our financial situation. This workshop can help you manage a job loss or reduced income.|
|Stress Management Workshop|
|May 9, 2017|
11 am - 12 pm
Parkside Complex #12
|This workshop will be hosted by Health Services and will discuss coping skills related to self-care, setting boundaries, asking for help, and managing emotions. Students will have the opportunity to earn a $20 gift card for Starbucks or Barnes & Noble through the Health Services program, for completing 6 of these workshops. Contact Lynette Navarro at (951) 571-6013 for further information on the workshops.||If you are a NEW STUDENT and are unable to attend this workshop, please contact the CalWORKS office at (951) 571-6154 to schedule an individual appointment with your CalWORKS counselor, Terrie Hawthorne to review important information for new students.|
|Nurturing Parenting: Ages and Stages|
|May 18, 2017|
12:50 - 1:50 pm
|This workshop will be hosted by Parent Support and Training Program, County of Riverside. This is a one hour workshop that will describe nurturing parenting principles and define ways to become nurturing parents. It will help parents realize their ability to impact a child's emotional development.|
|Date & Location TBA||Panelists from the field of Engineering will discuss their careers, share experiences, and answer questions.|
Gas Card Disclaimer:
Currently enrolled MVC CalWORKS students with CURRENT proof of cash aid for self and have a verified unmet financial need are eligible to receive a $25 gas card for transportation assistance for attending this workshop. Gas Cards are given to "eligible" students for attending workshops (must attend entire workshop). Students will be screened for eligibility prior to the workshop. "Eligible" students who signed up before the workshop (at least one day) may receive a Gas Card at the workshop. Otherwise, please allow one week after the workshop to receive your gas card. Please follow-up with Nicole LeDuff.
- CalWORKs students must provide valid proof that YOU receive cash aid FOR YOURSELF each semester to receive: Attendance Verification, Student Educational Plans (SEP's), Priority Registration, Referrals to Work Study, Assistance with Books, Counseling Appointments and all other services.
- We have limited services available to Post-Employment students, those students who stopped receiving cash aid within the last 2 years and are currently employed through unsubsidized employment. Proof of the date of termination or case closure and current employment are required. Proof of cash aid or post-employment is required before any services can be provided.
- The following are examples of valid (acceptable) documentation:
- Welfare to work Plan (GAIN contract)
- Letter from GAIN worker
- Notice of Action (NOA) stating your name and the type of aid received (CalWORKs Student, Cash Aid/Medical)
- Passport to Services
NOTE: Proof of Cash Aid must be submitted each semester and must be dated or stamped with the County timestamp within the semester you are verifying.
Current and Former Foster Youth
MVC has expanded services to Current & Former Foster Youth. Please visit the Foster Youth Support Services program page to learn more.
|SERVICES AVAILABLE||CALWORKS WORK STUDY|
Moreno Valley College teams up with employers to provide subsidized job training, for the CalWORKs work study program, to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as students to be eligible students are required to:
To get started or if you have any questions, please contact us at:
Spring Office Hours:
NOTE: The CalWORKs office is open (on Mondays only) from 8:30 am to 4 pm the first week of winter and summer sessions, and the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters.
Abreesha Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) (951) 571-6154 Front Desk
Nicole LeDuff (email@example.com) (951) 571-6498
- Inland Empire Community Calendar 2016pdf
- Raise Your GPA
- @LIKE Linking Innovation Knowledge Employment - Need help getting your HS diploma, GED, job?
- CalWorks Vehicle Policypdf
- Career Vision: These workshops provide out-of-the-box, innovative, and imaginative ideas that turn the job search process from reactive to proactivepdf
- EBT Surcharge-Free ATMspdf
- GAIN Forms:
- Planning Your Schedule (blank) spreadsheetxlsx
- Time Management for Studentspdf
- Secured Credit Cards: Low Credit and No Credit Finance Optionsnew
- Student Credit Cards: The Best Cards and How to Handle Them Responsiblynew
- RCCD's Academic Calendar
- Black History Month - Spring 2015pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2014pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2012pdf