CalWorks at MVC
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence." Unknown
CalWORKs will help you achieve self-sufficiency through employment and education. If you are a TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipient with minor children, and attending or planning to attend Moreno Valley College, you may be eligible to receive special support services.
MVC's CalWORKs support services include counseling, priority registration, job search and resume assistance, resource referrals, and intensive joint case management with the county GAIN program.
Please view the List Of Workshops for current information - this list is updated throughout the semester...workshop dates, times, and locations may change at any time.
We now have DVD videos available for viewing in our computer Lab:
»"Career Spotlight on Business" workshop
»"Interview Secrets" workshop
»"Career Spotlight on Social Work" workshop
»"Career Spotlight on Nursing" workshop
Visit or contact our office for more information.
EVENTS(Workshops are open to ALL MVC Students)
|New Student Orientation|
|February 8, 2017|
12:30 - 3:00 pm
|This workshop is for NEW CalWORKS students who have not previously attended an ORIENTATION. You will receive general information about the CalWORKS program, eligibility, services, financial aid, work study, priority registration, graduation, helpful forms, and more. Eligible students will recieve educational supplies.*||If you are a NEW STUDENT and are unable to attend this workshop, please contact the CalWORKS office at (951) 571-6154 to schedule an individual appointment with your CalWORKS counselor, Terrie Hawthorne to review important information for new students.|
|Continuing Student Update Workshop|
|February 9, 2017|
12:30 - 2:30 pm
|This workshop is for Continuing CalWORKS students...You will receive program update information, including: eligibility, services, financial aid, work study, priority registration, graduation, helpful forms, and more. Eligible students will recieve educational supplies.*||If you are a CONTINUING STUDENT and unable to attend this workshop, please contact the CalWORKS office at (951) 571-6154 to schedule an individual appointment with your CalWORKS counselor, Terrie Hawthorne to review important information.|
* All CalWORKS students must attend one of these (New Student Orientation or Continuing Student Update) workshops per semester to be eligible to receive services and incentives (gas cards, USB drives, school supplies, etcetera).
|Couples & Money Workshop *|
|Hosted by Credit.org|
February 16, 2017
12:50 - 1:50 pm
|This workshop helps couples communicate about money matters, offers money and budget saving tips, and helps couples develop a spending plan for their future goals.|
|Stress Management Workshop *|
|Hosted by Health Services|
February 21, 2017
11 am - 12 pm
Parkside Complex #12
|This workshop will be hosted by Health Services and will discuss coping skills related to self-care, setting boundaries, asking for help, and managing emotions. Students will have the opportunity to earn a $20 gift card for Starbucks or Barnes & Noble through the Health Services program, for completing 6 of these workshops. Contact Lynette Navarro @ (951) 571-6013 for further information on the workshops.|
* Currently enrolled MVC CalWORKS students are eligible to receive a $25 gas card for transportation assistance for attending. See gas card disclaimer below for terms and restrictions.
Gas Card Disclaimer:
Currently enrolled MVC CalWORKS students with CURRENT proof of cash aid for self and have a verified unmet financial need are eligible to receive a $25 gas card for transportation assistance for attending this workshop. Gas Cards are given to "eligible" students for attending workshops (must attend entire workshop). Students will be screened for eligibility prior to the workshop. "Eligible" students who signed up before the workshop (at least one day) may receive a Gas Card at the workshop. Otherwise, please allow one week after the workshop to receive your gas card. Please follow-up with Nicole LeDuff.
- CalWORKs students must provide valid proof that YOU receive cash aid FOR YOURSELF each semester to receive: Attendance Verification, Student Educational Plans (SEP's), Priority Registration, Referrals to Work Study, Assistance with Books, Counseling Appointments and all other services.
- We have limited services available to Post-Employment students, those students who stopped receiving cash aid within the last 2 years and are currently employed through unsubsidized employment. Proof of the date of termination or case closure and current employment are required. Proof of cash aid or post-employment is required before any services can be provided.
- The following are examples of valid (acceptable) documentation:
- Welfare to work Plan (GAIN contract)
- Letter from GAIN worker
- Notice of Action (NOA) stating your name and the type of aid received (CalWORKs Student, Cash Aid/Medical)
- Passport to Services
NOTE: Proof of Cash Aid must be submitted each semester and must be dated or stamped with the County timestamp within the semester you are verifying.
Current and Former Foster Youth
MVC has expanded services to Current & Former Foster Youth. Please visit the Foster Youth Support Services program page to learn more.
|SERVICES AVAILABLE||CALWORKS WORK STUDY|
Moreno Valley College teams up with employers to provide subsidized job training, for the CalWORKs work study program, to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as students to be eligible students are required to:
To get started or if you have any questions, please contact us at:
Winter Office Hours:
NOTE: The CalWORKs office is open (on Mondays only) from 8:30 am to 4 pm the first week of winter and summer sessions, and the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters.
Nicole LeDuff (email@example.com) (951) 571-6498
Abreesha Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) (951) 571-6154 Front Desk
- Inland Empire Community Calendar 2016pdf
- Raise Your GPA
- Security Deposit Assistance Program (includes flyer and application)pdf
- @LIKE Linking Innovation Knowledge Employment - Need help getting your HS diploma, GED, job?
- CalWorks Vehicle Policypdf
- Career Vision: These workshops provide out-of-the-box, innovative, and imaginative ideas that turn the job search process from reactive to proactivepdf
- EBT Surcharge-Free ATMspdf
- GAIN Forms:
- Planning Your Schedule (blank) spreadsheetxlsx
- Time Management for Studentspdf
- RCCD's Academic Calendar
- Black History Month - Spring 2015pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2014pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2012pdf