Welcome to the English discipline at MVC. To contact us, please see the Communications department page.
English Composition at MVC: Choosing the Best Path for You
Every student has the right to enroll directly into English 1A without taking English 91. If you would like more information on enrolling directly into English 1A without 91, see the challenge/opt in process.
*Note: Research shows that taking even one class below college-level composition (such as English 50) will make it less likely for students to complete English 1A. However, MVC may offer sections of English 50 for students who wish to opt into this pathway. No students will be placed into English 50 automatically.
English 1A vs. English 1A+91
What are English 1A and English 91? What's the difference between ENG-1A versus ENG-1A+91?
|English 1A||English 1A+91|
How Am I Placed into English 1A vs. English 1A+91?
- You will be placed directly into ENG-1A if: You have a high school GPA of 2.6 and above or earned EAP (Ready) or earned EAP (Conditionally Ready + ERWC with C- or higher).
- You will be placed into ENG-1A with the option of taking English 91 if: You have a high school GPA of 1.9 to 2.59. However, the MVC English faculty recommend that you enroll directly into English 1A without 91.
- You will be placed into ENG-1A with the requirement of taking English 91 if: You have a high school GPA under 1.9. However, you can opt out of this requirement with a simple formpdf that is automatically approved. The form should take 2 - 3 minutes to complete.
- You will be placed directly into ENG-1B if: You earned a 3, 4, or 5 on AP Composition & Language or you earned a 3, 4, or 5 on AP Composition & Literature.
- Note: If you earned a GED and/or it's been 10 or more years since you attended high school, we recommend that you choose between English 1A and English 1A+91. You can discuss your options with a counselor and/or read over the differences between the two classes.
Challenging Your Placement: Opting into English 1A without English 91
Every student has the right to enroll directly into English 1A without taking English 91. If you have been placed into English 1A+91 as a recommendation, you do not need to challenge your placement and opt into English 1A. Simply enroll in English 1A as you would other classes. If you have been placed into English 1A+91 as a requirement, follow the two steps below.
- Step 1: Fill out the challenge/opt in form. The form should take 2-3 minutes to complete.
- Step 2: Submit the completed form to Admissions and Records, located on the second floor of the Student Services building. You can leave the form with a person at the front desk of Admissions and Records.